Can I File Taxes Without a W2?

Yes, you absolutely can still file your taxes even without the W2 Form. But, before you resort to filing your taxes without it, you must first find out if there are other ways to obtain your W2. If you are not yet sure how to do it, read further for more information.

Can I File Taxes Without A W2?


Ways to Obtain Your Form W2

Obtaining your Form W-2, the Wage and Tax Statement, is a crucial step for most employees during tax season, as it provides the information needed to file tax returns. There are several ways to obtain this important document:

Employer Distribution

Employers are required by the IRS to send out Form W-2 to their employees by January 31st each year. This can be done either through mail or electronically. Many companies use online payroll services, where employees can access their W-2s.

Electronic W-2 Forms

If your employer offers electronic delivery of W-2 forms, you can opt to receive your form online. This method is often faster and more secure than waiting for a paper copy in the mail. You will likely need to log into an employee portal or a specific website provided by your employer to access your W-2.

Contacting Your Employer

If you haven’t received your W-2 by early February, reach out to your employer or the human resources department. Verify that they have your correct address and ask if and when the W-2 was mailed.


Other Ways to Obtain Your W2

If tax season is just around the corner and you still have not received the W-2 form, call your employer right away. If the company you are working for has an online Human Resources portal for payrolls, try to check it out if it’s ready for you to be printed out.

IRS Assistance

If you still haven’t received your W-2 by the end of February, you can contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. You’ll need to provide your name, address, Social Security number, phone number, and information about your employer (such as their name, address, and phone number), as well as your employment dates and an estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld, usually based on your final pay stub for the year.

You can also turn to IRS for help if your employer has already shut down his business and there is no way for you to contact them. On the other hand, if you are an employer who needs to generate a W2 for an employee, you can make the process less complicated by checking out the online websites that help you generate W2 with much precision but yet less hassle. Remember that you don’t have to do everything manually.

Previous Years’ W-2s

If you need a W-2 from a previous year, you can request copies of your tax returns from the IRS, which will include your W-2 information. There may be a fee for this service.

Filing Taxes is Possible even Without the Form W2

There are two ways to file your taxes even when you don’t have the W2.

Form 4852

In cases where you cannot obtain your W-2 in time to file your taxes, the IRS allows you to use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. This form requires you to estimate your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. However, filing with Form 4852 can delay your refund and may require further correspondence with the IRS.

Use Your Last Paystub

If you don’t have your W-2, you can use your final paystub of the tax year as a reference. Your last paystub should include information about your total earnings for the year and the amount of taxes withheld. This information can be used to estimate your income and tax liability.

Use Form 4852 to File Your Taxes if You Can’t Obtain Your W2

You can still file your taxes even without your W-2. You can do this by using Form 4852. This form serves as a substitute for the Form W2. You will fill this with information such as the wages you earned, the name of the employer and the amount withheld for your federal taxes. Collate your pay stubs to record how much you have earned for the taxable year. You must file this Form 4852 before the tax deadline. If you will be waiting for your W2, you still need to submit this Form 4852 before the deadline.

You may ask for help from an accountant should you need to amend anything on your tax statement if the W2 will come later than the tax filing deadline.

Request for Tax Extension if Your W2 Cannot Be Obtained Before the Deadline

If you did not receive your W2 or you do not have your pay stubs, which will also make it difficult for you to fill out Form 4852, you can ask for a Tax Extension. This will give you an ample amount of time to gather all the necessary documents you need for tax filing. This tax extension will serve as your kosher option while you are waiting for your W2 form.

To file for a tax extension, you will use Form 4868. This is the Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File form which can be used by U.S. individuals who are filing their income tax return. You can download this from the IRS website. If you need to combine this form with other documents, you can use a PDF merger website for an easy and efficient way to consolidate your files into a single PDF.

Note that even if you filed for a tax extension you are still required to pay the same amount of taxes that you owe if you filed your tax on or before the deadline. With the file extension request, you will be given more time to complete the documents needed for a more accurate filing. However, for individuals who need to pay federal income tax, they have to file on or before the due date.

To reiterate, filing your taxes is still possible even without the form W2. Use the form 4852, which is the substitute of form W2. Make sure to do everything according to what’s mandated by the IRS.

FG Editorial Team
The Founder's Guide Team - Asian Associates with dynamic elements out to make a change.Thank you for visiting our site! If you do have any questions or inquiry, feel free to contact us through our links and please don't forget to follow our social media accounts. It would be our pleasure to help you in any way we can. Always Remember: "Proceed to Succeed". Hoping to hear from you soon!