“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” Ending apartheid and human inequality seemed like an insurmountable task. But South African revolutionary and former president Nelson Mandela never gave up. His actions sparked a wave of change that reverberated all over the world, earning him numerous awards like the Soviet Lenin Peace Prize and the Nobel Prize Award.
To commemorate his birthday, the United Nations (UN) has declared every July 18 as Nelson Mandela International Day or simply Nelson Mandela Day. As a way of celebrating his legacy, individuals are called to dedicate 67 minutes of their lives for others; honoring his 67 years of making the world a better place.
Today, Nelson Mandela continues to inspire people all across the globe. In Founder’s Guide, we also aim to empower our readers like you by adding a dose of inspiration and wisdom to your day. Here are some of our select quotes from anti-Apartheid icon himself which we have placed in echelon according to some of the relevant situations you may encounter:
When you doubt your ideas and your capabilities…
● “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
● “Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.”
● “It is not where you start but how high you aim that matters for success.”
● “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
When problems just won’t fade and you feel like giving up…
● “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up”
● “When people are determined they can overcome anything.”
● “Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them.”
To uplift you when you fall…
● “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”
● “Don’t Judge a person by his success stories, but only with how many times the person stood up, after falling down.”
● “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.”
To encourage you to chase your passion…
● “Vision without action is just a dream, action without vision just passes the time, and vision with action can change the world.”
● “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”
To spark the leader in you…
● “Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people.”
● “Lead from the back — and let others believe they are in front.”
To inspire you to keep going…
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
● “I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being an optimist is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward.”
As an entrepreneur, you may face a number of stages in your life where you will be clouded by fear and uncertainties. Hopefully these quotations we have compiled above will inspire you to keep going on your journey. Regardless of who you are and your status quo, you can also spread this inspiration to others. As a businessman, you too have the power of changing people’s lives by promoting social good in your business.
What other quotes from Nelson Mandela that has inspired you? Let us know and we will gladly share it with others too!